Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Windows 95 Chicago - 10 years later

Wow, it was 10 years ago today that Windows 95 (codename: Chicago) was released. I was lucky enough to go to the release event in Chicago at Navy Pier with my friend Mike and we even rode the new McDonald's Ferris Wheel.

The next day we appeared in a picture on the front cover of the Chicago Tribune Business section. We were sitting in the front row for a big screen viewing of the actual release hosted by Jay Leno and Bill Gates in Seattle. I still have that newspaper hanging on my wall in my office. Since then I contacted some people at Microsoft and got a Windows 95 user license signed by Bill Gates. I plan to put that and a Windows 95 CD together in a nice frame for posterity.

I can't believe that it has been 10 years. That day we all officially moved from the DOS era to the Windows era. We moved towards FAT32 and NTFS. Since then, how many things have happened in computers. What happened to the Internet in the last 10 years? What about all the companies that sprung up because of this new Operating System? Wow, it really is something looking back at how much has happened.

Now we are looking forward to things like Windows Vista. Will it mark a new era as well? Only time will tell. I wonder if they will have the same kind of release that they did for Windows 95. I wonder if I'll get invited...

Thanks to Steve Rubel for the reminder of today's anniversary.