Friday, February 23, 2007

Windows Home Server, let the testing begin

Well I got the invite to join the Windows Home Server test. I am not sure what I can and cannot blog about, but I think I can post about the new test computer I am building.

I got started on my new computer by ordering a new case. I just ordered the Ultra Wizard Mid-Tower Blue Case from RadioShack.com. They are offering the case for $4.99 after rebate until 2/28/07, so get them while you can.

So now I need to put together a list of what else I need:

  • Power Supply
  • Motherboard with Processor (I am thinking Celeron with built in video, audio and 10/100)
  • Memory (1GB)
  • Hard drive(s) (I am thinking dual 250GB...search for a good price has begun)
  • DVD drive (I am going to try an external USB since this is only needed for OS install)
This is fun. Unlike Vista testing it is getting me interested it putting together a new computer from the ground up and with a specific purpose in mind, a central storage location. It has been years since I had a reason to build my own computer, so I am really looking forward to it.

I will be posting updates on the hardware as I go. So keep watching because I am going to try and put this all together at a good price and I will let you know where I buy from with links, so I can pass on the deals. No, I am not getting anything for these links, I am just passing on the info. Starting out at $4.99 is awesome!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have to go over my NDA's and start to post about what I can. I need to do more posts about my Apple OSX work (BootCamp, Leopard, etc.) and I should also do a recap post on my Vista testing sometime. Problem is I continue to test...I have already said enough.